Good Work Ongoing


I thought that I'd try writing out a quote by hand instead of typing it out for a change. After all, I did take a four-week long calligraphy class. I figured I should put it to work sometime.

I never did report on how it all finished off in the end. It was a great class, and there's another one coming up in the autumn, which I'm thinking about taking. It was the only place where I ever heard anyone utter the words, "Sorry, I'm being italic," and totally understand what they meant. 

I always find it interesting taking art classes and being around artistic-types. It's a neat feeling being with people who feel totally comfortable with someone telling them to pick up a watercolour brush and paint something. You don't get the normal, "Oh, I wouldn't know what to do with that" type comment. Being around people who are comfortable experimenting is such a freeing feeling.

I had an awkward moment near the end, though... the others were sharing their websites and Instagrams with each other, and when they turned to me to ask me if I had a website to share, I choked on my words. I don't know why, but I'm always so self-conscious to openly speak about this blog. It's one thing when people stumble upon it and start to follow it. It's something completely different when I have to speak about it aloud with people. Even when my coworkers openly ask me about it, I feel a wild rush of fear about it and quickly change the subject. I don't know why. I suppose it's because the things I share here are from a side of me that I rarely get to show in my day-to-day life, and they come from my inner-most parts: the things I dream about when real life gets to be too much. It feels strange to have people jabbering away about it aloud.

But I guess that's just me.

In the meantime, last week was a really crazily busy week, so I'm sort of glad I don't have a big complicated knitting project on the go. Instead, I've been picking away at a little embroidery project. This is a cushion cover I bought on a whim at Ikea, and I'm using some leftover silk yarn from my Going Places Shawl to embroider daisy chain circles onto it. Here's what it looked like yesterday afternoon:


And here's what it looks like this evening. It's not easy, and the stitches are wobbly and uneven, and I barely know what I'm doing, but I'm enjoying it. The yarn is helping a lot: the sheen adds to the elegant simplicity of those circles. I am looking forward to washing it and getting all of the wrinkles out. I think it'll be very pretty:


I have quite a lot of the yarn left, and I've got another cushion cover left. The wheels are already turning for what I might do with it. My Pinterest boards are already overflowing with ideas.

Except... I have a big stash of yarn looking at me. Man, I need more hours in the day.

If only I had more hours in the day...

Sorry, I'm being italic (snerk). I had to say it.

I think I'm going to spend the rest of the evening daydreaming. Happy Sunday, all.

Comments

You have plenty to share that many people would be interested in! Would love to take a calligraphy class.
AdrieneJ said…
Thank you - that's very sweet. You should give calligraphy a try, even just a short workshop. It's a delight to slow down with a pen for a change.