Rainyday Glamour

Sometimes, I wonder if I should put some time and effort together to put together a better set up for taking photos of finished projects. I look through some of the beautiful, glamorous shots people have of themselves in their projects on Ravelry, and I am envious. Most of the time, I struggle along, balancing things on window sills, tilting my tripod, or craning my arm to take a selfie on my phone. It makes me wonder if I should just go and get a selfie stick.

Yeah, I just wrote "self stick". I don't know what this world is coming to.

It's always difficult to get photos of a project on a rainy day. The lack of natural light makes it so difficult to capture colours and textures without over-exposing or over-saturating them. Half the time, I feel like I'm standing in a shoebox, trying to peek over the top into the light.

So, with that in mind, here's my latest finished project: Bloomsbury, by Svetlana Volkova:


I am truly amazed by this sweater. I never would have believed that I could knit a sweater for myself with only 880 yards of yarn, but the balance of the large gauge combined with the lace panel worked out perfectly. Using the large needles meant that I needed less yarn, and the lace makes it light enough to ensure that it hangs properly without any of the large stitches gaping open:


My initial problems with my own gauge means that the neckline is a little wide. I didn't like the look of the thick ribbing at the neckline, so I had attempted to make it thinner and more delicate, but having cast on for the a size too large at the beginning means that there isn't much fabric to hang on to the neck:


But it's the back that is the star of this sweater. It is so, so clever. I just hope my back doesn't get cold:


Here's an attempt at a glamorous back shot... in the dark: 


I might try to photograph this thing again on a brighter day, but I was just so eager to wear it that I just couldn't wait. It's a great sweater for a rainy day: not so snug that I am going to sweat, but not so light that I'm going to get a chill.

And, over everything else, I feel triumphant that, for once, I did not run out of yarn. That alone is worth shouting from the rooftops. Except I won't... because it's raining, and it's obnoxious.

I'm switching gears to knit something lighter next. I'm thinking about knitting a shawl to wear for a wedding this summer. I figure that, if I don't start now, I'll be scrambling to get it done right before I need it. That's the kind of drama I could live without right now. I'm busy trying to find a pattern that will work, so in the meantime...

I thought I'd knit a new bathmat:


All glamour, all the time. That's me. Move over, Kardashians. There's a new bathmat coming online soon.

Comments