Inspiration Mondays: Jeans That Will Probably Fit


Learn more while you're working. If you don't know how to do something, either stay longer or figure out how to do it. -- Chris Ellsberg, Raleigh Denim Workshop


I think I'm becoming a bit of a curmudgeon as I get older. I find myself watching people younger than me coming into my place of work and saying, "They didn't do it like that when I was that age." Huff puff. Ho ho.

I'm not sure I like it.

I suppose part of it is that I am such a lover of knowing how to do this the long way that I get annoyed when people automatically jump to the short cut. Lots of things today are about finding the quickest and easiest way to get around the old way of doing things. I think it's important to know how you get the shortcuts so that, when the shortcut breaks (because it ALWAYS does), you have a way to get around it.

And more than that: I'm getting a bit tired of having to go and fix problems that are created when someone lacks the understanding of the big picture... the ENTIRE job, instead of just understanding the single task. Why only know how to turn on the sprinklers when what you want to do is grow a garden? And really, we're living in a world right now where, if you want to learn how to do something, the information is right out there at your fingertips.

Stay longer, or figure out how to do it.

I watched this video a little while ago, and it delights me. I like that there is someone out there who knows how to draft and cut a pattern for a pair of jeans by hand, and who understands why it's important to know how to do it that way. And I can't help but think that I might like a pair of those someday. Goodness knows I can't find a pair that fits me properly right now.

Today, I'm inspired by people who recognize the value of knowing the beginning, middle, and end of things. Y'all are my people. Thanks for being so good at figuring sh*t out.

My Home, NC: The Last Patternmaker

"I believe I am the last patternmaker who still knows how to do things by hand." - Chris Ellsberg, Raleigh Denim WorkshopGo behind the scenes of a homegrown jeans maker with My Home, NC for a heartwarming introduction to the 82-year-old expert patternmaker who still has a lot to teach the clothing industry.

Posted by UNC-TV on Thursday, February 25, 2016

Comments