Inspiration Mondays: A Little Bit of Jazz

I've been feeling discouraged recently. I feel like, everywhere I turn, someone is finding some way to put someone down, to take away someone's power, to create moments of doubt in people instead of being friendly, supportive, and helpful. It's made me so, so sad. Why must we spend so much time insulting, berating, and belittling each other? And why do we feel it so necessary to put people in isolation?

I was sitting on the couch last night, aimlessly wandering around on the internet, my knitting set aside in my discouragement. Luckily, I came across this story about a 95-year old jazz musician, who recently moved into a care home after being diagnosed with dementia. Feeling lonely, having to leave his wife in their home, he puts out an ad on Gumtree to find musicians who would be willing to jam with him. The result is this:


I think it's wonderful that he was able to get the company he was longing for, but what I love even more is that someone in that home took the time to take his request seriously and helped him put the ad up online.

This scene makes me smile so much:


It really takes so little to be kind.

Today, I'm inspired by people who are happy to take five minutes out of their day to make someone else's world a little brighter: maybe it's taking the time to have a pleasant conversation with someone, or holding open a door for someone struggling with their bags, or letting someone into your lane when the one next to you ends unexpectedly. You have no idea how much someone might be secretly struggling. A little thought goes a long way.

I hope someone makes your day a little brighter today.

Comments