Inspiration Mondays: Lifting the Dolphins


Not long ago, I came across this article about a group of dolphins who helped a dying dolphin stay afloat until it breathed its last breath. It's not the first time I'd read about cetaceans helping to keep a struggling thing afloat. There are many stories out there where people have either experienced being held up by animals underwater, or where people have witnessed them helping other animals. It amazes me each time I read it.

A couple of years ago, I made the conscious decision about how I spent my time online. I decided that I wasn't going to fuel the fires of ignorance. I was not going to share stories that ridiculed others. I was going to keep ranting to a minimum. And I was going to lift up those that deserved to see the light.

This is not to say that I avoid standing up against things that are wrong. I just believe that my power as a person on the internet also includes diverting the spotlight from the people who deliberately say bigoted, ignorant things to stay in the media or to catch attention. I thought about mentioning a few examples here, but really, I don't even want to give them that kind of attention. I ignore the trolls in the forums, and I delete mean comments. And when an online community turns into a free-for-all of meanness, I say my goodbyes, and shake the dust from my feet as I walk away.

Today, I am inspired by those who help the great inspirational things in the world see the light: sites like Upworthy, A Mighty Girl, and DailyGood. It might seem a bit "Pollyanna" to go on and on about this, but think about how different our days would be if we could turn down the ignorance and turn up the light? And yeah, maybe you have to see the dark to truly be grateful for the light, but I don't think we have to worry about not seeing the dark side of people There's plenty of that out there.

Me and Craig, we'll just keep going at this, ok?



Comments