My projects have been a great distraction to me during this time. When my brain was overwhelmed, I switched to yarn-mode and dreamed about my planned projects, colour-combinations, pattern details... a pleasure in the midst of a chaotic mind.
Completed last night: my sweater, which I call Frost Lily, based on Marnie McLean's Lily. I say "based on" because, while most of the details are the same, I wrangled with the pattern a lot to get this thing to fit me the way I wanted. This sweater spent a lot of time looking like this:
- longer, wider sleeves, to accomodate my hulking arms
- fewer decreases for the waist, because I am not the hourglass shape that this sweater seems to be designed for
- added length to the narrowest part of the body to accommodate my torso
- 2x2 ribbing at the bottom edge, arm cuffs, and neckline.
I found the instructions for the yoke really hard to understand, and it took me three times (read: ripped out three times) to get something I liked. I ditched the instructions to change the rate of decreases and just decreased the sleeve cap every other row and the body every third row until the neckline reached where I wanted it to. This helped to accommodate my wide shoulders as well.
In the end, I am very, very happy with it... but man, if there was a sweater to motivate me to keep the weight off, this is it! It was interesting to learn that 4.75 skeins of Cascade 220 is enough to make a sweater for me. I bet that if I used five, I could make a sweater and still eat a few cookies...
Mmm... cookies... snack time!