My Super Power of Choice

If I had a super power, I would want either:
  • the ability to teleport to any destination
  • the ability understand how something was made at a glance
  • the ability to iron a shirt with a snap of my fingers
I'm not that ambitious, as you can see.

Anyway, it is probably not such a huge surprise that I love clothes, both making and wearing them, and I am constantly inspired by photos in magazines and online. I have a couple of Pinterest boards full of things I think I could hack, skirts, sweaters, dresses... I have many, many photos on my phone of knit and crochet garments taken surreptitiously on retail store floors. That's not so bad, I think.

The problem is that inspiration strikes me in inconvenient places and at inconvenient times, and it consumes me for several days afterward. I see something that inspires me, and the knit-scan kicks in.

I once watched an entire movie wondering if I had the right kind of yarn to make a hat one of the characters was wearing.

I once followed a baby around around a museum who was wearing a cute little knit dress so I could figure out how it was made.

I have walked the same block five times to pass by the same window that had a dummy wearing a cute knit sweater. It wasn't even a clothing store. I think they sold second hand furniture in there...

I try to rein it in as much as possible, but I never know when I'm going to be distracted again. It would be so much more convenient if I could just see it and know immediately how it went together.

I was at work one day last week, sitting with someone in a meeting, when a co-worker stuck her head in the room and asked a question. This girl knows a great sweater: I have admired her outfits more than once. This one was cause for me to start sketching in my notebook immediately. It was a good thing the question wasn't directed towards me, otherwise I guess that would have been kind of rude...

Since then, I've seen her wear it a few more times, and each time, I sit down and draw it again. It is a sweater knit in a loose gauge; a thin yarn (I'd bet DK weight) knit with large needles (I think a size 9 or 10). She wore it over a tank top or a camisole. The yarn had a halo, like a wispy mohair sweater, and it was light grey, almost silver. It had a large, drapey, cowl or funnel neckline that could nearly be worn as a hood if you wanted. It had a kangaroo pocket on the front. It is boxy in shape, worn loose and baggy, with "short" sleeves that are actually drapey enough to nearly reach her elbows. I've even looked at it carefully enough to see where the seams are: there are shoulder and side seams, and two diagonal seams on the front, which I'm thinking might be sewn in to give the sweater some structure.



Days later, the scan was complete, and my brain finally let it go.

I've decided I'm going to attempt to make this sweater with some Lion Brand Amazing yarn that I've had in the stash for a few years now. This yarn has a gentle colour-change effect from dark smoke blue to pale, airy green, to pale, silvery blue. If anything, it should be interesting. If only that super power would just kick in: then I'd know for sure if it was going to work out.


Oh man, if I had a super power, I'd totally get a superhero outfit. I better start planning that out...

Comments