Inspiration Mondays: Breaktime

I still need more healthy rest in order to work at my best. My health is the main capital I have and I want to administer it intelligently. -- Ernest Hemingway
We turned our clocks back this weekend, and you know what that means: one more hour of sleep! The only problem is that I woke up at 5am and thought about work stuff for the next two hours. I fell asleep again at 7, but got up shortly afterward because I just wasn't resting. So much for that plan.

I'm sort of catching up today, but I know that I'll have to make a special effort not to be too busy this week and to put myself to bed early, because sleep is my number one defence against illness. I read an article recently about how people are starting to think it's normal to be exhausted all the time. It simply isn't so. If you're falling asleep in the middle of something, that's your body's way of putting you into standby mode. And if you don't listen, your body shuts you down pretty quickly. So that means putting everything away early, even the knitting, because as relaxing knitting is, it isn't resting.

And it's also dangerous to fall asleep while knitting (right, dkzack?).

So, I'm finding inspiration this week in Rascal, because he understands the value of a good nap and the importance of a good sleep routine. As the days get shorter and the weather gets colder, I think I'll be following his example as much as possible. After all, I've never seen him catch a cold...


Comments