The Octopus-Thing Necklace

Check out the weird thing I found crawling across my dining table. Is it a squid? An octopus? An alien life form waiting for my dog to walk past so that it can attach itself to his face?


This octopus-thing is actually my rendition of Kirsten Johnstone's sev[en] circle necklace (and no, I don't know why there are rectangular brackets in there). I made it with about one and a half skeins of Mirasol Hacho that has been sitting in my stash for a couple of years. It's a clever knitted necklace made of seven rings, all joined together in the back.


It being April, the chilly mornings are still hanging around, so it has come in handy this week to keep my neck warm, without actually being a scarf. It's a perfect way to use up some leftover dk or worsted weight yarn that doesn't have quite enough yardage to be a full scarf or shawlette. I used the pattern as a starting off point and improvised from there. Since most necklaces tend to be too short for me, I added a few extra stitches to the circumference of each ring to make sure it would sit at a decent spot on my neck.


So, creepy as it is sitting on my table, it's a pretty sweet neck adornment. And the best part?

I know it's not going to attach itself to my dog. Not that he'd complain... he's still finding ways to make my knitted objects his own!


Comments

T.M. said…
I wasn't sure about the octopusthing but it looks great!
AdrieneJ said…
Thanks! I've been really surprised at how versatile it is. I might make another in another colour!