Inspiration Mondays on a Tuesday: Finding Rest

I didn't write a post yesterday because I wasn't feeling particularly inspired. I was tired after a day trip and dealing with a headache. I was worrying about things I needed to get done at work, and about things that seemed out of my control... or at least, I didn't want to have control over. I was in a bad spiral, going around and around in circles and not finding my way out. It's something that happens to me, perhaps to everyone, once in a while.

After I felt sorry for myself (and pouring out my sorrows to a friend - thanks, Squeakybuddha), I decided enough was enough. I got up and washed the dishes, then went into the living room, got out a yoga belt, and started to do one of my favourite yoga practices from a DVD my friend, Sarah, recommended to me called Yoga: Morning, Noon and Night. It opened up my hips, and stretched out my back, but most of all, it encouraged me to breathe.

What's interesting about the simple act of breathing, especially breathing with intention, is that it really makes me feel amazing. I remember my biology teacher in high school telling our class about this phenomenon... that it made him feel a tingling, energizing sensation down his back. I didn't believe him until this year, when I felt it for myself. It's a wonderful, calming feeling.

If you think yoga is not for you, and that you're not flexible/strong/cute enough to do it (because I didn't think I was any of those things before I started), know this:  If you can breathe, you can do yoga. You don't have to twist yourself into uncomfortable positions or stand on your head or do anything that hurts you. If you still don't think so, try this Simple Seated Sequence from yogajournal.com and see if you feel better afterward. Dollars to donuts, I think you will.



(I don't know what dollars to donuts means, but it seems like a good way to place a bet... it involves donuts...)

Comments