The Bestest Day

Ask a knitter: What's the best way to start the day?
Answer: Yarn!

Ask a knitter: What's the best way to end the day?
Answer: Yarn!

Ask a knitter: Who are the best people to hang out with?
Answer: People who give you yarn!

Et cetera.

Yesterday, I arrived at work, and on my desk, I found this:



It's a skein of laceweight yarn from one of our favourite Etsy shops, At Knits End (who I've mentioned in previous posts... such talent!). I'd been admiring it for a while now. I had a pretty good idea of who the Yarn Fairy was, so I picked up the phone and called dkzack's extension. "The Yarn Fairy came last night!" I said.

With a smile in her voice, she said, "Oh, she did, did she?"

"Yes," I said. "And she even took the tooth I left for her."

That made her hesitate for a split second, then she said, "I didn't know the Yarn Fairy did teeth, too."

"Oh yes," I said. "She is part of the same union as the Tooth Fairy. She has to get the same amount of work, you know."

Later on, when she visited my desk, I thanked her, even though she told me to thank the Yarn Fairy instead. She also brought along a bunch of yarn she had ordered that had just arrived. She piled it all on my desk and I laid my head on it and breathed deep.. ahhhh...

That evening, dkzack and more of my coven knitting friends came over for a Knit Night. Susan brought along news of sources for undyed roving and knitting book sales. Oh man, I love that kind of news. Time to save up my pennies so that I can buy books and make the yarn I've been wanting for a skirt I really want to make for myself...

Tara also brought along a huge basket full of... what else? Yarn! But not just any yarn, but yarn she dyed herself and is now selling at her Etsy shop. (You should click that link, by the way. You know you want to.) And we all jumped on, looked through each and every skein. And well, you should support your friends in their endeavours, so I decided that these three should stay at my house... you know, because I wanted to help out...


Clockwise from the top are: Pumpkin Spice, Honeydew and It's Grape to be Me (named by her genius daughter).

I also shared some of my own acquisitions, including this braid of roving from the aforementioned At Knits End. It's a merino/bamboo blend in the colourway called Ewe Win Some, You Lose Some. I think I really won this time:


So, it was a great day, topped off with a great visit from my coven knitting friends, lots of good Strawberry Rooibos tea and some of my homemade gluten-free Raspberry Tart based on this recipe (I made it with a rolled oatmeal base - YUM). I might rapidly be reaching SABLE status (Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy), but could you ask for a better end for the week?

Oh yeah, and I swam next to Captain America yesterday morning, too... but that's a whole other tale...

Comments

Tara Candy said…
We did have fun, didn't we? Thanks again for the tea & yummy dessert, and thanks for the above mention!
YarnKettle said…
So do I need to lose a tooth to get the yarn fairy to come visit me? Oh wait the yarn fairy takes the form of my husband on trips. I forgot that part.
Enjoy your yarn and fiber you deserve it!
AdrieneJ said…
Thanks for the pretty yarn!
AdrieneJ said…
I'm sure your hubby would love to know that he is considered a yarn fairy. You're a lucky lady, for sure!