The Trouble with November

If there was ever a month that needed an extension, it's November. I swear this month flies by way faster than any other month. Would someone please flip the hourglass and give me a break?

My birthday was this month, and it seems like, the older I get, the less time I get to anticipate and enjoy it. November is the busiest month of the year at work for me, and it's also when everyone starts running around trying to get holiday projects started, planning events, and attending events.

And, darn it, it's when the darkness sets in.

For someone like me, that thrives in natural light, that prefers all her photos taken in natural light, it makes for an incredibly small window to get anything done. I feel like I'm constantly in artificial light, punctuated by periods of darkness. It's funny... even though I'm still technically getting the same number of hours to do things, I just can't seem to muster the energy to do them. It's a tiring, depressing time.

Today, I wanted to take some photos of the bolero I've been working on, and I really wanted some natural light to do it. I was foiled by a headache that descended on me this morning and that stuck around until this evening. I couldn't really knit, because looking down was making me nauseous, so I decided to try out my mini muffin tray instead. (I know, it's weird... but baking during my headache always seems to help me. It's better than sleeping.)


After doing lots of stretching and getting a massage from my kind husband, I finally felt well enough to take some photos, but by that time, the daylight was long gone. Hopefully, these photos aren't too hideous, but they'll have to do. This one is the back of the bolero before blocking:

And here it is all pinned out for blocking.

I plan to make a ruffle around the edges and the sleeves with some 1 1/2 inch silver satin ribbon. I'm going to sew it onto the thinner ribbon in pleats, then sew the thinner ribbon to the edges. I have no idea if it'll work, but that's the plan anyway.

The thing is, even though I'm rather proud of myself for knitting that bolero in a week, I know that, with that ruffle left to make, it's all just beginning. I'm hoping that I'll find some more energy this week to make it happen. I think I'll have to make sure I get outside at lunch hour and see some daylight, otherwise this is going to be another very long week.

And December is just around the corner. Sheesh... when is it gonna be summer again?

Comments