We'll Be Right Back After I Knit a Dragon

I am now declaring that, after knitting the Sugar Snap Peas scarf for the last few weeks, I am officially taking a pea break. (*snicker snicker* Get it?) And it's none too soon. This thing is taking a looooooong time.

Seriously, this ball of yarn hasn't changed in size for three weeks. Will it ever get smaller?

I was hoping I could get it done before I started anything else, but the next project is somewhat time-sensitive. A friend of mine has asked if I would knit a couple of hats for her little boys for Halloween. Actually, it's really for the older boy, but the little one will probably want one as soon as he sees his big brother's hat. They want to dress up as Toothless from How to Train Your Dragon.

I haven't seen the movie yet (but I have the DVD sitting here on my coffee table, lent to me by the same friend). I've seen a few projects here and there based on some of the characters in the movie, especially Toothless, which appears to be an adorable dragon with the face and mannerisms of a cat. I asked my friend for a couple of hats that fit her boys well so that I could make them the right size.

These hats are both lined, so I am going to make the hats themselves the same size and line them as well, just to be sure they are warm and snug on their heads.

As for the design itself, I have a few ideas as to how to make the horns on Toothless' head. My initial thought was to make cone shapes and stuff them, but then I remembered that I own a book that specializes in horns, flippers and other dragon-like adornments: Amigurumi Knits by Hansi Singh. This is the book that helped me to make this:

So, this weekend, I plan to put the peas aside to work on a couple of dragons. I know that Halloween isn't for another month, but I'd much rather give myself time to figure things out than to scramble at the last minute. Last-minute scrambles stress me out and make me grumpy, and my friends deserve way better than that.

Nobody likes a grumpy dragon-knitter. Trust me.

Comments