Painting with Stitches?

I've seen some incredible scenery this week - The Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Zion Canyon, Yellowstone... rocks and trees and valleys and springs and geysers and volcanoes... I snickered as we drove through Yellowstone today, and a sign appeared that said, "Wildlife exhibit ahead."

"What? Isn't this whole place a wildlife exhibit?" I exclaimed.

Where else would I see bison hanging out next to a smoking caldera?

Since I started knitting, I've noticed that I look at this scenery with different eyes. I wonder to myself, "Could I make this scene with knit stitches? Could I find colours that match, or detail the intricacies with cables and slanted stitches? Could I paint this scene in a garment?"

I'm thinking more and more that I can.

Imagine something that suggests the curving branches and ashen pine cones of the lower branches of this tree at "The Paintpots" I saw today.

Or maybe the colours of this spring in West Thumb next to Yellowstone Lake.

It's made me think back to this post I wrote in the spring. While I strained my eyes looking for elk through the trees today, I worked out a way that I might be able to make this project work. And I know I want it to be cream or white (at least I think I do... we'll see what happens). I know how I will sculpt trees with stitches and, and I know that I won't be able to do the whole thing in one piece. I know how I will sew pieces together to overlap them the way I want.

It feels good to stretch some creative muscles. I feel excited to give this a try. This is one area of my life where I feel like I have total control, no restrictions, no one holding me back or telling me that I shouldn't try. I know I can do this.

So, the next question is: Do I need to buy any yarn for this? Hmmm...

Comments

YarnKettle said…
The color in that pond is amazing! I'm glad you're enjoying your trip. Your pictures are always composed so well.
AdrieneJ said…
Aw, thanks! I'm quite proud of my pictures. It's nice to know someone appreciates the time I take to take them!