The Tale of the Slumbering Phoenix

There the phoenix lies alone
resting where it might have flown
waiting for her magic yarn
to make her truly whole.
Lacy scarf of leafy vine
fashioned from the hempy twine
wonders how the phoenix waits,
resists the mild cajole.
"Why will you not rise" quoth he,
"to show off your complexity?
Your lovely hues and lacy stitch
will win admiring stares."

"T'is fine if you stay put, I hear,"
said scarf of silky wool in sneer,
"You're much too large, of awkward shape
to be much fun to wear."
"A shame that you must wait in pause,
whilst I be one to take applause
since I am ready to be worked,"
the sock yarn mocks aloud.

"A week or two, I'll be complete,
and you must take the second seat
since you have far too much to go
to make your maker proud."
The phoenix sighs, but isn't glum,
with knowledge of the day to come
when yarn arrives to match her wings
from online shop of yore.

"In time," she says, "I'll rise from here,
I'll be complete, and they will cheer.
I'll wait and dream of future days
when I can truly soar."
It ain't Homer, but he couldn't knit anyway.

Comments

Silver Phoenix said…
Maybe not Homer, but pretty good for all that!

I admire anyone who can make poetry rhyme.
AdrieneJ said…
Thanks! I'll admit - I did google searches for rhymes for a few of those verses. Glad you enjoyed it!
Anonymous said…
This is very cool :)
Unknown said…
fun poem and beautiful scarf- do have a pattern for this beauty?
I would love to make it!
AdrieneJ said…
Hi Angela - Yes, the pattern is called In the Pink by Izzyknits. You can find it at this link: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/in-the-pink-2
Unknown said…
Thank you so very much!
Unknown said…
what yarn are you using? I love the colors, are there other color variations- this looks much nicer than the ones pictured with the pattern.
AdrieneJ said…
I just realized I never received this message. I used a skein and a half of Kauni Effektgarn. It is a lovely, colour changing yarn, but it's not the softest yarn out there. It's quite rustic, but blocks beautifully.