When taking risks really is not a good idea

I visited the ER yesterday, not for fun, not to see cute doctors, not even out of curiosity. I visited the ER because I believe my throat was closing due to the beginnings of an anaphylactic reaction.

I put on my Benadryl Mittens yesterday morning, picked up my bags, and walked out to the garage. I opened the car door, and felt my throat swelling.

I closed the door, walked back into the house, took off my boots, and went into the bathroom to take 2 and a half capfuls of Benadryl. I took the mittens off, and the ball of the same wool out of my knitting bag, then put my boots back on and walked back out to the car.

I started the car, and started driving to work. That's when I started to gag.

Luckily, my house is seconds away from the hospital, and it was in the direction I was going. I talked to myself, calming myself, trying not to panic.

I walked into the hospital and told the lady at the desk I thought I was having an allergic reaction. By then, the gagging feeling had stopped. She took my details, even updated my phone number. I figured by then that I wasn't going to die, but if I was going to have a reaction, this would be the place to do it.

The nurse took me in, checked me out, made sure my tongue wasn't swelling, took my heart rate and blood pressure and temperature. A little high, but I was scared, after all.

The doctor came into see me, and checked my throat, asked me some questions. He said my throat didn't look swollen, but that didn't mean it wasn't further down (which it was). I told him about the Benadryl, and he said that's what they would have given me if I hadn't already taken it. He suggested another antihistimine, told me to take it for the next few days, but to come right back if anything changed.

And, that's how I stopped using Lamb's Pride Yarn.

This is not meant to be a slanderous post about the Brown Sheep Company. Just a word of warning. If you think you might be allergic to something, stop using it immediately. You won't get any awards for ending up in the hospital.

'Nuff said.

Comments