Longing for Community

I've been in a real melancholy mood for the past week. I've been feeling lonely and jealous of the knitting communities that are out there, but that just don't seem to exist here. I do have a small circle of friends that occasionally get together for a couple of hours here and there, but we're all so busy, that it's hard to make it a regular go. I am grateful for it, but I just get lonely sometimes for other people who will sit and talk about yarnie things with me.

Rhinebeck is going on this weekend, and everyone on Twitter was tagging with #imaginaryrhinebeck. I'm still new to Twitter, but I was longing so much to be there that I just added the tag for the hell of it. Who knows? Maybe someday, I'll be lucky enough to go to one of these legendary fibre festivals and meet other yarnies.

I guess I'm just a little bit bitter, because where I live, there just doesn't seem to be that massive interest in quality crafting. How great would it be if there was even an LYS here! I mean, even in Alaska, in towns where half the town leaves in after the tourist season, and the winter descends in cold and fearsome winds, there are thriving communities, beautiful shops, great knitty things to do together.

I know what some of you are thinking: If you want that, then make it happen. Well, no. I know that I could organize events, build a shop or a club or something, but I'm just not willing. In my other life, I recently left a voluntary board position in a local non-profit, and all my "make it happen" mojo is all burnt out. It just would be nice if there were enough of a community to make it happen.

There are other options, of course. There are knitting retreats going on in Montana in January. I've already committed all my vacation days to Christmas and the like, but I'm sure there will be more in the future. If I organize myself and plan ahead, maybe I can go to one later on next year.

I must go and find my people.

Comments