A Stash Building Day!

I'm home in Winnipeg visiting my family, and while I love seeing my parents and walking around the town, I have to admit that I had been fantasizing about visiting the yarn shops in town!

Drumheller doesn't have a LYS, and the nearest ones are in Calgary. Yarn stores are the first place I visit when I'm anywhere on vacation (there are some WONDERFUL ones in San Francisco, by the way), but it puts me dreadfully behind in my projects. I figure I could be spending my money on worse things!

Today, I was on the hunt for some yarn for my mom's Christmas present. I plan to make her Sweater Babe's Chic Cables and Lace Cowl Neck in a silver grey. I managed to find DROPS Alaska in a silver grey on sale for $4.00 a ball at Ram Wools Co-Op. Score! I can't wait to get started on it. My only worry is that, it being 100% wool, my mom might find it a wee bit itchy, but hopefully a little fabric softener during blocking will help that. I think she will like the big, comfy cowl neck in the winter time!


I first visited Ram Wools last Christmas when it was at its Fife Location. I just about completely bought out their Araucania Atacama in brick red, grey and black. It was a steal at $3.95 a skein - I think I bought 10 skeins! It eventually became my Awesome Clapotis.


Today, I bought 4 skeins of Atacama in that wacky lime green colourway. It's still on sale. I wonder if not many are into it around here?

I also visited Wolseley Wardrobe for the first time. It reminded me very much of a little shop in Edmonton called Ewe Asked for it - quite comfy and homey. Wolseley Wardrobe apparently has been there for many years, which was a surprise to me, as it was around when I was doing my practice teaching around there. (Perhaps Tall Grass Prairie Bakery down the road was too much of a distraction for me!) I walked away with three balls of Elsebeth Lavold's Hempathy (two in golden yellow and one in deep purple) and 5 skeins of Cascade 220 Wool in a lovely burgandy. It's funny - I saw the Cascade, picked it up, put it back, then thought, "I'll just buy two," which then became three, then, oh what the hell, let's get five! So I cleared the shelf, thinking that I'd make the November Ruffle Wrap, but I think I might use it for a cardigan that I fell in love with in a Sears catalogue this year. I've almost wrapped my head around how I'm going to make it, but at least now that I've got the yarn, I'll be motivated to get working on it before NEXT summer!

It's been a happy day. I feel a little drunk with all the lovely colours that surround me now!

Comments